This free document from the Federal Trade Commission provides guidelines to funeral providers on complying with the Funeral Rule.
The Rule requires that consumers be given accurate, itemized price information and various other disclosures about funeral goods and services.
In addition, the Rule prohibits Funeral Homes from:
- misrepresenting legal, crematory, and cemetery requirements;
- embalming for a fee without permission;
- requiring the purchase of a casket for direct cremation;
- requiring consumers to buy certain funeral goods or services as a condition for furnishing other funeral goods or services; and
- engaging in other deceptive or unfair practices.
If a Funeral Home violates the Funeral Rule, they may be subject to penalties of up to $43,280 per violation.